[PORTLAND, ME] – Maine Gov. Paul LePage says he's working with Canadian officials on a resolution as more of the neighbouring nation's lobster processors suspend operations after fishermen there demanded they not accept low-priced Maine lobster.
New Brunswick lobstermen last week blocked trucks from delivering Maine lobsters to three processors.
Maine Marine Resources Commissioner Patrick Keliher says four to six processors in New Brunswick and at least two in Prince Edward Island had suspended processing Maine lobsters by the end of Tuesday.
He says it's created a ''serious situation'' in Maine as dealers scramble to find processors to take their product.
Canadian lobstermen say the low price of Maine lobsters is driving down prices in Canada. The lobster-fishing season's opening in southeastern New Brunswick has been pushed back four days, to next Monday.